Saki Santorelli, EdD, MA. is an educator, meditation teacher and writer. In 2018 he retired as executive director of the Center for Mindfulness in Medicine, Health Care, and Society, director of the internationally acclaimed Stress Reduction Clinic, the place of origin of mindfulness-based stress reduction (MBSR), and professor of medicine at the University of Massachusetts Medical School. His entire career in medicine and healthcare has been oriented around the integration of mindfulness into public health. Through his vision and leadership the Center for Mindfulness transmitted the ethos, practice, teaching, and science of MBSR to individuals and organizations around the world. Saki teaches and presents internationally and is the author of Heal Thy Self: Lessons on Mindfulness in Medicine translated into eleven languages.
« Dialogue and Inquiry is the communal, heart-throbbingly beautiful conversation that is the hallmark of MBSR and, by extension, all authentic mindfulness-based programs (MBPs). Oriented toward the love of truth and emerging as a fluid, multifaceted exchange with program participants, this intimate dialogue is, by its very nature, self-revealing, deeply human and ennobling. Identified as one of the central capabilities in the development of mindfulness-based teachers, inquiry is often reported to be a major source of apprehension and uneasiness for MBP teachers. This is not surprising. Untethered from course content and structure, inquiry asks us to meet each person freshly, each moment non-conceptually. A gesture of love and bravery, standing in such open space is not easy. Yet, this is the way it is when we say we want to teach.
To work with and hopefully dispel this fear and learn to meet these moments more openly, this course is oriented around the practice of dialogue and inquiry. As a community of learners, we’ll devote a portion of each day to silent practice, with particular emphasis on the cultivation of the heart quality, and the remainder of the day to the spoken practice of dialogue and inquiry. Joining silence and speech, our practice of dialogue and inquiry will unfold through:
- Viewing and reflecting on video recordings from Saki’s MBSR classes,
- Practice Teaching in small and large groups as a way of learning to respond to common themes that program participants speak about during weekly sessions,
- Inquiring into the nature of inquiry itself as a way of disclosing the fears associated with being in this ‘conversation’ and that inhibit our capacity to be present and open,
- Learning to weave dialogue with one person into the communal conversation and consciousness,
- Offering and receiving peer and instructor feedback,
- Identifying personal strengths and areas needing additional attention, and
- Recognizing within us the sources from which dialogue and inquiry springs and flows forth.
The invitation is to practice diligently and to speak honestly about what we find difficult, delightful (and everything in between) in our teaching. The intention is to support one another as friends, students, and evolving MBP teachers. The essential aspiration is to serve others by becoming more embodied, heartfelt, and relationally wise teachers. »
- MBSR Certified Teachers
- MBCT Certified Teachers
- MBSR “Qualified” Status Teachers
- MBSR and MBCT Teacher Trainees
- People teaching other MBPs
- People with experience integrating mindfulness into large social institutions such as medicine, business, law, and government.
- Consistent, daily mindfulness practice
- Highly motivated to be a learner
- Respect for the dignity and nobility of each other when receiving/offering feedback.
- Dates : Wednesday, July 1 10:00 am to Saturday, July 4 2020 2:30 pm (necessity to attend the entire program).
- Wednesday 1 July 2020: 10:00 am – 6:00 pm (welcome at 9:00 am)
- Thursday 2 July 2020: 9:30 am – 6:00 pm
- Friday 3 July 2020: 9:30 am – 6:00 pm
- Saturday 4July 2020: 9:00 am – 1:00 pm + pot-luck
- Format : non-residential. The fee includes 4 vegetarian meals (Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday).
- Venue : Espace Columban – 162 Chemin de Vieusart – 1300 Wavre – Belgium.
In the heart of small bucolic valleys, the Espace Columban is a place where space and calm combien with simple and clear lines. The room, with a direct view on the pastures is very bright and is located in a peaceful environment, favorable to the practice of meditation. Map to access.
Premises with disabled access can be accessed by people in wheelchairs.
- Language : the seminar will be taught in English, with French consecutive translation.
- Material to bring:
- comfortable clothes, adapted to the weather; shawl or plaid.
- your yoga mat, meditation cushion or bench. Chairs will be available.
Only if necessary, you may contact Mme Evelyne Mathieu who manages registrations.
- Registration to the seminar-retreat: 562€ TTC
The fee includes sessions, 4 lunches (July 1, 2, 3, 4) as well as tea breaks.
Philippe and Marc prepare the meals that are home-made and vegetarian, cooked with organic, local and seasonal ingredients.
ATTENTION : people living abroad and who are subject to the intra-community TVA need to pay sessions fee without VAT + meals, i.e. 481,96€, the VAT will need to be paid in their tax residence country.
- Cancellation policy:
- Until April 14 2020, reimbursement: 70%.
- From April 15 to May 14 2020, reimbursement: 50%
- From May 15 to June 14 2020, reimbursement de 35%
- From June 15 2020: no reimbursement.
- Fill in the online form here (form in French. Google-translate can be a useful support).
- Pay the registration fee through bank transfer (bank information at the end of the registration form).
- Once your form and paiement received, we will send you an email confirming your registration (allow 2 weeks please).
Please, be aware that places are limited. Registrations will be taken in order of reception of form and paiement. We are not able to make any reservation without paiement. Thank you for your understanding.
You would like to find an accommodation nearby?
- It is sometimes possible to stay at the Espace Columban (4 double rooms available – 35€/pers./night + 10€ for sheets rental; necessity to bring your sheet, towels and breakfast – no breakfast service nor walking distance tea-room). Ask for information to the Espace Columban…
- Finding an accommodation